Saturday, June 20, 2009

Singing in the Rain

Yeah, OK, so it did in fact rain on us the entire ride today, but we were relentless and just plowed through it. We left the IC boathouse about 8:15 and by the time we had gotten to just past the Glenwood Pines I had two flats! Patching in the rain is a joy,. Then I found that the tire was split, so I had to perform triage on that and successfully plugged the tire and then rode it another 60 miles! Might just see how much of the day I can get it to go tomorrow!

Later, Karina had a chain issue, so we dodged into a dilapedated barn behind a house that was for sale to do that repair in relative dryness. Success again, and then we pounded out the last 12 miles to Canandaigua.

We got to see three of the albino deer that reside in a reservation alongside of Rt96a in/near Romulous (sp). Very cool animals! Did not get photos (as the rain was too risky for the digital camera).

Got to see a wedding at Taughannock Falls overlook, that was nice (and somewhat wet).

We are inside and dry tonight, warm again and ready to sleep. I have had my preemptive ibuprophen, but I am hoping that after we leave the Buffalo area that I won't need that any longer.

The TiTrikes are soon to be here! Can't wait (nor can my sore butt). The photos of the trikes are phenominal and I am confident that the real deal is going to be much, much better. The plan is for them to be delivered to us in Buffalo.

I have been riding a last minute touring bike that is a little less well fitted that is optimal, and my backside was not fully prepared for the saddle ride that I have been getting. No blisters, but plenty of sore. That's enough on that.

Karina is starting to really figure out her legs and strength and becomming more and more confident in her capacities. Three days ago I was able to ask her "so, we have riddne 25 miles already, do you feel like you have ridden that far?" and she'd say "no." Today the question was "You have just ridden 50 miles, do you feel like you have ridden that far?", and I get the same answer "no." We made almost 70 miles today and as we were fixing the broken chain at the 60 mile mark, soaked and cold and rummaging in a funky old barn to stay out of the rain while we repaired the chain, we are laughing, screwing around and generally both in good moods.

The terrain was much less hilly today and for one stretch of favorable flat Karina was busting 24 mph for almost 5 miles, I was busting trying to keep up (my cold knees were less than happy today).

I'll try to get photos up sometime soon. I haven't quite been rady to tackle that little tech project, but maybe tomorrow night. We'll see.

Thanks for the comments and all that - wish I could see you all!

2 comments:

  1. Happy fathers day! Sorry to hear your knees and butt are sore. Hope the rest in Buffalo will help. Cousin Kathy says hello. I'm going to try to help her figure out how to comment today.
    Karina ,I love you madly! So much I could eat you up! Sounds like your peddling is getting really strong, way to go girlfriend. Are you eating enough Ice Cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter and Karina:

    I can't believe it's been a week since we saw you both in Copake on the first day of this voyage. It sounds like you have made quite a bit of progress since then. Congradulations are definitely in order!!! We think of you both with every drop of rain. I guess you will get used to it an be happy it's there to cool you off. Karina, you should be so proud. Peter, keep popping the ibuprofin. Sounds like you need it. Good luck with the trikes when they arrive.

    Best wishes,

    Patty Easton

    ReplyDelete