Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ithaca

Alright! Here and at a real keyboard at last, so I can write a little more than the basics.

Today was great ride - about 30 miles (a relief after doing almost 70 the day before). We got to sleep a little later than usual and that gave the heavy rain time to pass. By the time we left Marathon, NY, the sky was grey but dry for the next several hours. A word about the hills between Oneonta and Marathon, they are not for the faint of heart. To give you a little idea of who the 13 year old is who is riding this trip, two short stories.

First, on the first day, 50+ miles, toward the end of the day we are tired, knees sore, Karina is cranking away up a hill and I have hopped of the bike to walk a little. I suggest to Karina that she hop off the trike for a bit to walk up the last bit of the hill, her response was clear and to the point: Dad, I am riding across America, not walking!" That pretty much shut me up.

Yesterday, huge hills, three long days behind us, 8pm, getting dark, raining significantly, we had the opportunity to get trucked the last 8 miles. I asked Karina if she wanted to ride, she said yes. I told the guys in the truck to take off and we got ready to ride a little more. Then she tells me: "dad, I meant I wanted to ride in the truck!". No option, no tears, just back on the bike and she pedaled another 4 miles uphill. Got picked up when it was really too dark to ride safely any longer, but if we had lights, she would have just kept on. Incredible kid!

So, this morning I am getting ready to leave the campground, walking up to the front entrance and there is this guy who just pulled in in an RV, I say good morning and he says good morning, and I say, Hey, I know you! Turns out that he used to live in Cummington, moved four years ago to Florida and just happened to be traveling in the NE. What are the chances of this happening?

I am in Ithaca ten minutes, getting a smoothin at CTB in Collegetown and I run into Mark Ladd! Great things just keep on happening! Knock on wood they continue just like that.

Tomorrow afternoon I am still planning to visit the Ithaca commons between 4 and 6, so if any of you are in the area and what to say hello, keep your eyes peeled.

We had a BBQ at the IC boathouse tonight which was fun. I watched Karina catch a duck, just scoop it up!

The ride through the Catskills was really nice. Big hill to climb up to Windham, and it was in the clouds. There is a biz there that advertises a five state view, couldn't see anything! Took a pic of Karina pointing at the fog! Karina says "five state view my a--!"

A short while later we crest the top of the hill and the shy breaks open and it is just so beautiful that you would never believe that only minutes and miles earlier it was a complete wet fog bank!

I'll see if I can load up a few pictures soon.

We set the iphone up on the back of Karina's trike so we can listen to music. Current favorites are the sound track from Mama Mia, HAIR, and Beatles Abby Road! Life is good!

More soon.

3 comments:

  1. Karina you are amazing! I love you. mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete,
    I hope that all is well with you and Karina. By the way I have wonderful news. The Trike prototype works beautifully. Pat Summers calls it "The Bomb". I think that's an expression for something or someone that's exceptional. I hope you get them soon.
    Talk to you soon
    Don Riley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Feit!!
    It sounds like Karina is kicking your ass. Just think, it's all down hill from the Continental Divide!!!!!! Keep pedaling Good Buddy!

    ReplyDelete